Around 1590, Bailie John McMorran acquired the north and south facing tenements, and other disparate buildings, which existed and reconfigured them into a processional suite of apartments by adding east and west wings. The date of 1587 in the lintel of the west range window may or may not signify the activity of McMorran’s project. Ornamental thistle motifs decorate the string course.
Above a first floor window, in the left hand corner of the courtyard, is an arched shape lintel – an eyebrow lintel. Only one of these exists in the architecture. It sits above what would have been a door. It was through this door that James VI and Anne of Denmark processed in 1598 – elevated above the common throng by a wooden gallery – towards the high hall and the banquet which awaited them there.